Cristóbal Ricardo Montoro Romero (born 28 July 1950 in Cambil) is a Spanish politician. Hs is a member of the Spanish People's Party. He served as Minister of Finance and Public Administrations of Spain from 22 December 2011 until 1 June 2018, when a vote of no-confidence against Mariano Rajoy ousted his government. His ministry was re-structured in 2016 and the responsibilities of Public Administration were given to the vice president. The office was renamed Minister of Finance and Civil Service.
He was a Member of the European Parliament for the People's Party, part of the European People's Party, and sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs. He has represented Madrid in the Spanish Congress since 1993.
He was a substitute for the Committee on Budgets, a member of the Delegation for relations with the countries of the Andean Community and a substitute for the Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly.
He was appointed Minister of Finance by José María Aznar in April 2000, but he had to abandon the post in April 2004 when his party lost the elections.
- 1973: Graduate in Economics from the Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM), he obtained the Extraordinary Prize of Degree
- 1981: Doctor in economics (UAM)
- 1982-1988: Assistant lecturer in public finance (UAM, 1973–1982) and Deputy professor
- since 1989: Professor of public finance at the University of Cantabria
- Economist and director of studies
- 1996-2000: Member of the Boards of Directors of Telefónica, Iberia, Endesa and SEPI
- since 1999: Member of the National Executive Committee of the PP
- 1993-1996, 2000-2004, 2008-present: Member of the Congress of Deputies.
- 1996-2000: Secretary of State for the Economy
- 1996-2000: Spain's representative to various economic and financial organisations
- 2000-2004: Minister of the Treasury
- 2011-2016: Minister of the Treasury and Public Administrations
- 2016–2018: Minister of the Treasury and Civil Service
- Knight Grand Cross of the Royal and Distinguished Order of Charles III
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic
- R., Juan Carlos (22 December 2011). Rajoy Brey, Mariano (ed.). "Real Decreto 1826/2011, de 21 de diciembre, por el que se nombran Ministros del Gobierno" (PDF). Boletín Oficial del Estado (in Spanish). President of the Spanish Government (307): 139968. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Cristóbal Montoro Romero". Ministerio de Hacienda (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 1 October 1999. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "El Gobierno condecora al Ejecutivo saliente con distinciones de la Orden de Isabel la Católica y la de Carlos III". Europa Press (in Spanish). Madrid. 3 August 2018. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- R., Felipe (4 August 2018). Borrell Fontelles, Josep (ed.). "Real Decreto 1043/2018, de 3 de agosto, por el que se concede la Gran Cruz de la Orden de Isabel la Católica a don Cristóbal Ricardo Montoro Romero" (PDF). Boletín Oficial del Estado (in Spanish). Ministro de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación (188): 78399. Retrieved 6 August 2018.